Re: [6pack] Master Cylinder Rebuild

To: Robert Rochlin <rrochlin@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Master Cylinder Rebuild
From: Richard Lindsay via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 07:58:54 -0500
Cc: list Triumph <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, TR6 <6pack@autox.team.net>

--0000000000008a255b05a5d79c65

Hello Bob, *et al.*,

   Glad you're well. Here is south Texas we too are relaxing the
stay-at-home order and the older people (like me) are beginning to venture
out, if still maintaining safe separation. The 'younglings' seem to think
an *All Clear* has been sounded and they're back face to face. I wish them
luck.

   I have had two, fresh from the box,  M/Cs fail then a third, working
fine. I don't wish to directly name and disparage the vendor since they are
always quite willing to make things right, but their name does grow on the
'north side of the tree'. The question I ponder and why I am writing is to
ask is: How did your M/Cs fail?
   In one of my unit's failures, fresh from the box, the front brake
circuit worked fine (that's the one closer to the booster) but the rear
brake circuit would flow no fluid. The second unit would flow no fluid
through either circuit! The third M/C worked perfectly and still works
great today!

   Did I get two poorly or incorrectly rebuilt cylinders? Someone in China
just make mistakes? Did I do something wrong? Thus I ask: How did your M/C
"fail catastrophically?"

-rick

On Sun, May 17, 2020, 6:38 AM Robert Rochlin via 6pack <6pack@autox.team.ne=
t>
wrote:

> I hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well in this time of
> quarantine.  It down=E2=80=99t look like here in Massachusetts the stay a=
t home
> order will be  completely lifted for several of more weeks, but some
> business slowly are beginning to be be allowed to reopen.
>         I=E2=80=99ve had a checkered history with master cylinders. In th=
e past
> I=E2=80=99ve sent m/c off to be rebuilt by reputable rebuilders only to h=
ave them
> catastrophically fail soon after reinstallation.  I=E2=80=99m figuring th=
at I can
> improve on that record.  When I went to the Buckeye Triumph site to revie=
> the rebuild process the article recommended red grease.  I don=E2=80=99t =
have any,
> but I do have Volvo silicone breaks grease.  In the absence of red brake
> grease can I just apply brake fluid as lubricant to do the rebuild or
> should i bite the bullet and get the red brake grease.  About the only re=
> grease I could fine was on Amazon and it was pretty pricey, $16.00 plus
> $8.00 shipping.
>         Any advice would be appreciated.
>         Best,
>         Bob
>         =E2=80=9972 TR6
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/6pack/richardolindsay@gmail.com

--0000000000008a255b05a5d79c65

e too are relaxing the stay-at-home order and the older people (like me) ar=
e beginning to venture out, if still maintaining safe separation. The &#39;=
younglings&#39; seem to think an <i>All Clear</i> has been sounded and they=
iv><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0I have had two, fresh from the box,=C2=A0=
 M/Cs fail then a third, working fine. I don&#39;t wish to directly name an=
d disparage the vendor since they are always quite willing to make things r=
ight, but their name does grow on the &#39;north side of the tree&#39;. The=
 question I ponder and why I am writing is to ask is: How did your M/Cs fai=
l?</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0In one of my unit&#39;s failures, fr=
esh from the box, the front brake circuit worked fine (that&#39;s the one c=
loser to the booster) but the rear brake circuit would flow no fluid. The s=
econd unit would flow no fluid through either circuit! The third M/C worked=
iv dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Did I get two poorly or incorrectly rebuilt cy=
linders? Someone in China just make mistakes? Did I do something wrong? Thu=
s I ask: How did your M/C &quot;fail catastrophically?&quot;</div><div dir=
ote" dir=3D"auto"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, May 17, 202=
0, 6:38 AM Robert Rochlin via 6pack &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:6pack@autox.team.=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex">I hope everyone is hanging in there and doing well in this time of qu=
arantine.=C2=A0 It down=E2=80=99t look like here in Massachusetts the stay =
at home order will be=C2=A0 completely lifted for several of more weeks, bu=
t some business slowly are beginning to be be allowed to reopen.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 I=E2=80=99ve had a checkered history with maste=
r cylinders. In the past I=E2=80=99ve sent m/c off to be rebuilt by reputab=
le rebuilders only to have them catastrophically fail soon after reinstalla=
tion.=C2=A0 I=E2=80=99m figuring that I can improve on that record.=C2=A0 W=
hen I went to the Buckeye Triumph site to review the rebuild process the ar=
ticle recommended red grease.=C2=A0 I don=E2=80=99t have any, but I do have=
 Volvo silicone breaks grease.=C2=A0 In the absence of red brake grease can=
 I just apply brake fluid as lubricant to do the rebuild or should i bite t=
he bullet and get the red brake grease.=C2=A0 About the only red grease I c=
ould fine was on Amazon and it was pretty pricey, $16.00 plus $8.00 shippin=
g. <br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Any advice would be appreciated. <br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Best,<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Bob <br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =E2=80=9972 TR6<br>
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferr=
er" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums"; rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer=