Re: Sandblasting, yes or no??

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>, <jerome@supernet.ab.ca>
Subject: Re: Sandblasting, yes or no??
From: "Ian Spencer" <SpenceIC@Healthall.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2000 17:29:33 -0500
I sent a bonnet for a BMW 2002 to be blasted once. It came back all warped from
too much PSI. If you're having sheet metal blasted, be sure they don't over do
it, or it will just make matters worse.

Ian Spencer
Client Services
Alliance Business Center
Health Alliance
(513) 585-7123

In article <200007061457.IAA10945@teamfat2.dsl.aros.net>,
CANISDOG@aol.com wrote:
> List,
> What is your experience with sandblasting?  I have a bare shell for my series
>3 ready to blast but I have had many tell me this is a mistake.
> There are no "dip strip" outfits in CO so it's sand by hand or blast.  Any
>help or ideas would be great.

You can readily predict the effects of sand vs bead blasting by
examining the blast medium. Silica sand is composed of long pointy
pieces of hard rock (not like beach sand) while glass beads are much
like crushed sugar at the outset, and like icing sugar when exhausted.
Sand really tears into a surface, while beads (or plastic or walnut
shells) shock the surface. Yes, cleaning out the beads is a bit of work,
but you'll really get familiar with the frame of your car when you're
done clearing out all the crevices. :)

I've read that walnut shells can leave a somewhat oily residue.

--

=              J e r o m e   Y u z y k | jerome@supernet.ab.ca
=           BRIDGE Scientific Services | www.bss.ab.ca