[no subject]

To: "Alpines List" <alpines@autox.team.net>
From: "Paul Miller" <paul.miller@genie.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 16:39:29 +0100
Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago, whilst touring in Belgium in my Series V, I suddenly
noticed that instead of reading the normal trickle charge, my ammeter was
registering a massive +15 to +20 amps while driving normally. Suspecting
that the alternator control unit had failed, I switched on the lights,
blower etc. to soak up the excess current and the ammeter to read around +3
to +5 amps, and kept going for a further 400 miles or so until I got back
home in UK (without boiling the battery!).

Once home I got a new "4TR" alternator control unit (my set-up is entirely
stock), supplied very promptly by Alpine West Midlands, and fitted it.
Problem solved: all ammeter readings back to normal.

Since then, having covered less than 100 miles on the new unit, I've
suddenly noticed that it appears to have failed too, with the same symptoms
as before. Now either I've been unlucky and fitted a dud alternator control
unit, or something else is wrong...but what?

Has anyone else had a similar experience or any ideas? At 30 quid a throw
(and with another jaunt to the continent planned soon) I'd rather not keep
chewing through 4TRs.

Thanks,
Paul.