Re: (Alternator Control Unit)

To: Paul Miller <paul.miller@genie.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: (Alternator Control Unit)
From: js <frodo4@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 22:22:19 -0700
The best way to find out what is going on is to attach a digital
voltmeter to the battery terminals and watch what is happening.

First - charge the battery, and leave it overnight. The voltage should
be about 12.5 volts, certainly NOT below 12. There are ways to tell the
condityion of a bettery with a hydrometer (specific gravity of the acid)
but the voltmeter test of good enough.
Next - run the car. With the ammeter showing the fauly, what is the
voltage on the battery -  14.4 volts or less is OK (the regs are
probably set to about 14 volts -  I'm not sure). If the voltage goes
above 14.4 as you rev the engine the reg is not regulating correctly.

**DO  Make sure that all the wires are good as if the wiring to the reg
is lose or broken the reg cannot "see" the actual voltage in the system
, thinks it is lower than it is  and can cause over voltage. This is not
a fault of the regulator.

The ammeter shows what is going into the battery - this will vary
depending on temperature and battery condition for a given voltage.

John