Re: Re: Leaded Gas

To: Christopher Albers <Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu>
Subject: Re: Re: Leaded Gas
From: jeyerman@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:14:35 -0400
CNA,

My local Sunoco carries racing fuel-but I was trying keep the message short and
it was intended for England.  Actually, most airports will only pump fuel
directly into airplanes-they will NOT pump it into a can (I think they fear
dirt contamination).

Jan

Christopher Albers <Christopher.Albers@bubbs.biola.edu> wrote:
> jeyerman@ix.netcom.com writes:>As you probably know, leaded gas has been gone
>for many years here in
>the USA (except at small airports where you can still 100 octane avgas)
>and the antique car hobby has survived on rebuilt cylinder heads and
>additives.  I use various additives in both my Minx and Cricket.  So
>far it has worked-but I only drive the two of them 1,000 miles per year.

>Jan

This is not entirely true.  High octane leaded fuel can be purchased
from various fuel suppliers throughout the country (Trick Fuel, 76,
independents).  The caveat is that you cannot drive your car up and put
it right in the tank during business hours.  However, I know of a fuel
supplier that told me, "if you set up an account with us, you can come
in after hours and fill your car right up."

I like Jarrid's suggestion better and it's far cheaper than $4/gallon
race fuel, though you don't get the lead (which you don't really need
with modern valves/seats).  Just add a ratio of toluene to your 92
octane fuel to boost octane.  I can't remember the ratio.  Jarrid?  I
think it was 5 parts fuel to 1 part toluene.

CNA