Re: British vehicle importation to US

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>, <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: British vehicle importation to US
From: "Ian Spencer" <SpenceIC@Healthall.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:20:38 -0500
Yes, I've done it. My advice... Get out your checkbook! :-)

You really shouldn't have too much problem providing you vehicle it a runner.
Mine wasn't, so I would get these late night phone calls demanding money to
have things done like, brake work, having a tow hitch welded to the
crossmember.. you know, any way tro squeeze money out of me at $500.00 a pop.
What can you do? They have your car and if you don't want it sittiing at a port
somewhere getting charged per day for storage, you gotta play by their rules.
:-)

The problem I see with your vehicle is the year of manufacture. Anything post
'68 is subject to a fee for passing inspection. I understand this to be
approxamately 90% the vehicles value, based on their apprasial. If the car
doesn't pass, they keep your money plus charge you storage fees until it does
pass. I'm assuming you went through a broker to handle all your paper work.
(The best 150.00 you will spend on the whole thing.) Providing you did, they
can answer all your questions regarding the DOT inspection. Pre '68 vehicles do
not need to post money for inspection. They are exempt.

This should be the case, unless things have changed since I did this last. - Ian

Ian Spencer
Client Services
University Hospital
Health Alliance of Greater Cincinnati
(513) 584-0365

>>> "J Arzt" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com> 11/27/00 10:40AM >>>
OK, folks, here's the deal -

     Being the sick individual I am, I've purchased a 1974 Commer
Autosleeper from England. (visualize a VW pop-top camper) I've made
transport arrangements, and it looks like it should hit the port at
Baltimore on Jan 1,2001. My question is has anyone out there imported a
vehicle from the UK before? Any problems, pitfalls, etc?

     I have the DOT forms, and it's exempt due to age. Same goes for the
EPA. Everything looks OK so far, I just need to figure out how they can
stash the spares inside the vehicle!!

Any input? (Other than comments regarding my degree of sanity/insanity)

Jon Arzt

1958 Hillman Minx convertible
1961 Humber Super Snipe
1966 Humber Super Snipe estate