Re: Welders

To: Cole Harvey <ceharvey@thegrid.net>
Subject: Re: Welders
From: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 05:33:03 -0700
Cole Harvey wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am considering buying a MIG welder.  I have used my father's MIG Miller
> welder with gas (CO, I think).  I did some pre-shopping and found that gas
> is about $200 more.  What is the gas for, and do I need it for small body
> panel repairs?  Also, what does MIG and TIG stand for?
>
> Cole

Cole:

The abbreviations MIG (GMAW) and and TIG (GTAW) stand for
"Metallic-Inert Gas" and "Tungsten-Inert Gas" welding. The purpose of
the gas in both types is to provide a shield to protect the weld metal
from the air. In one type of MIG welding, a flux-cored wire is used to
replace the shielding gas by a gas-shield formed from the burning flux
in the core. This is actually the same as "stick" (SMAW) welding where a
flux is used on the outside of the rod to provide a gas shield over the
arc, except that a wire feeder is used instead of individual rods.

The advantage of using shielding gas (now usually a carbon dioxide-argon
and other gas mixture which gives better results than straight CO2) is
that you will have a hotter, steadier, and cleaner arc with virtually no
clean-up. This is much better for body work than the so-called "gas-less"
type of MIG welding, unless the work is to be done outside and on
thicker metal. The extra $200 is for a built in gas valve and a flow
meter, but is well worth the money since it actually gives you full MIG
welding capability and allows use standard MIG wire (cheap!) rather than
flux-core wire (expensive!).

Ron Tebo