rust-proofing floors

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: rust-proofing floors
From: "Paul Heuer" <p_heuer@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:28:29 +1030
Hi all,
I started out washing and vacuuming the family cars on Sunday. By lunch-time
I had the interior stripped out of the Alpine! Huh?

I removed the mats to vacuum them and noticed the beginnings of rust in the
floors. The tar-like sound-deadner had cracked in many spots and had trapped
water under it. So I've dived in and started the job.

Now the questions:
1. Removing the sound-deadner? I tried scraping, but it's very slow. I'm
thinking a heat gun will soften the stuff. Any other methods?

2. What to use as a replacement? I suspect the material shielded against
heat, deadened sound and stopped 'drumming' (resonance) of the floors.

3. Most of the trim was replaced by the the PO. He didn't replace the carpet
along the side of the sills (ie where the handbrake mounts). It is very fine
pile and thin, like carpet without the backing. Is this stuff available now,
and what is it called?

4. Shipwrights disease has struck. I want to replace the lap-only seatbelts
with lap-sash. Does anyone know what length to use?

Cheers,
Paul.
Sunny South Australia - S3 Alpine in bits (grrrrr)