Re: Tigers in Print

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tigers in Print
From: <ellis838@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:07:29 -0500
Louis,
 I found the pistons in the UK at RJ Grimes, they are actually the low
compression version. Measured the wall thickness through the large water passage
on top the block, the one that feeds the steam vent in the head. The only place
the measuring device would fit. This block had no liners and the few places wall
thickness could be measured it was in the .240-.285 range. That is before
boring, and it was .020 over to start. So after wall thickness is .155-.200 is
that enough ? Guess I will find out.
 The compression height on the Avenger pistons is less than the Alpine by .115,
the chevy rods are .075 longer  the new stroke is 3.35 using the small journal
[2"] chevy rods. My crank is not back from being ground but others have done
this so I assume it can be done. The longer rod and half the extra stroke comes
to .125 so the piston is .010 higher than stock. From actual measuring, paper
calculations and Kentucky windage figured the compression would be 11 to1. That
is with my head as it was, I had reworked the combustion chamber as Vizard
suggests in his book. So after much head scratching ended up removing more
material from the combustion chamber and now figure to be at 9.7 to1.  Is it
livable with the wall thickness, time will tell. I do know the New Zealand
fellows are running this bore and larger without liners. The head gasket has me
scratching my head if I decide to have one custom made I may have it done
thicker than stock to gain some ccs and drop the compression a bit more.    Jim