Lucas

To: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Subject: Lucas
From: Tom Yang <TYang@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 22:11:07 -0500
Jan,

I can remember the first time I spoke to Curt about how my turn signal
lamps weren't working right, and he immediately told me to check the
grounds. When I unscrewed the lamp fixture, it became evident why my lights
were dim or not working. The lights get ground through the mounting screws
like most cars, but with the Alpine, the mounting screws used sheet metal
clips that rust easily destroying the ground. Another poor design!

Now, I don't want to get into a Lucas bashing thread, but I'm just
commiserating with people who understand why we still own these LBCs!

Tom

Message text written by Jan Eyerman
>I could write VOLUMES on Lucas.  The word "Bad" just isn't bad enough to
describe the products of Joseph Lucas Ltd.  Back in 1971-72 I worked for
General Motors and owned a Sunbeam Arrow.  When electrical components
failed I
had access to Delco Remy engineering and I sent them the bad parts to
analyze.
 Back then engineers rarely used profanity to describe things but they used
few choice words to describe the quality of the stuff I sent them.
Basically
the description was "poor materials, worse engineering".  They said any
American manufacturer that produced products like those would be out of
business pretty quick.

My favorite Lucas failure was one of the connectors breaking off of the
Ammeter-shutting down the car's entire electrical system.

Jan<