Sunbeam Tigers and Alpines on the Track in the 60's

To: Sunbeam <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sunbeam Tigers and Alpines on the Track in the 60's
From: Steven Silverstein <milano164@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 23:50:21 -0500
Both the Tiger and Alpine suffered when Rootes (Chrysler) pulled the plug.
Without factory dollars supporting the effort few wanted to run the Alpine
and I have to believe the Tiger fell to the same fate.

When the Tiger was introduced to the track in '64 a significant amount of
factory dollars went to the Tiger.  I have heard that money really dried for
the Alpine by '65.   I have been told this was a significant factor in
Hollywood Sport Cars selling off their Alpine.

By 66'/67' few racers were running Alpines.  Many of the "major" well
prepared cars ended up sold in the SCCA Sports Car Wheel at that period.
Serge May was selling the Sebring Factory car (#54), George Cheyene was
unloading the HSC car, and in my case, Dan Carmichael sold the Sports Car
Forum Alpine.   (The ads are interesting to read)

The Alpine was only strong in a couple of SCCA Divisions, West Coast
regions, Central and Mid-Atlantic.  I suspect this was due to the dealership
network.  But after 67, Alpine participation really dropped significantly
(with the possible exception of Pacific Northwest, and Phil Peron on the
East Coast - Al Costner may have still be running well in the Central
region).

Triumph, Alfa, and the rest were paying for 1st, 2nds, and 3rds and bonuses
at the end of the year.  Not to mention lots of free parts (according to
stories).  They made it worth while to run their cars.

The Tiger hung on for a bit longer.  Most of the factory dollars were
diverted to their effort.  Don't forget the Tiger was up against a really
tough and well funded crowd.

The Alpine was in a tough crowd too, I don't think you could broadly say it
was easier in FP/EP.  When the Datsun's, Lotus, and Alfa's all ended up in
FP toward the end of the 60's it was extremely tough but there were still
successes on a small scale.

In general, you don't need a V8 to kick a Triumph's butt...

Steve Silverstein