AH O/D

To: "Jan Eyerman" <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Subject: AH O/D
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 6 Mar 2001 14:02:56 EST
Jon

I was told some years ago that when hypoid axle ratios fall below 3.00:1 the
efficiency drops dramatically, so car manufacturers try to stay above 3.00:1
whenever they can.  That is why Chrysler introduced an overdrive rather then
go to a rear axle ratio lower then 3.00:1 back in the seventies.  That is also
possibly the reason for the O/D on the early Healey's.

Jan

"jon" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com> wrote:
My guess is they didn't have a low enough (numerically) ratio gearset for
the rear axle, so rather than design a whole new differential assembly, they
just used what they had on hand. If they had used a tall axle ratio like
2.54 to 1, they could have used the granny low.  However,  I think it wasn't
synchronised. By blocking off low, they could then claim an all-synchro
gearbox.

Humber used three speed manual trannies in the Series Super Snipes. They
felt the torque was adequate, and adding a fourth gear was useless.
Overdrive was an option, though, and makes a Super Snipe a very happy
cruiser at 75mph on modern highways.

Jon Arzt