Seat base foam

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Seat base foam
From: SunbeamAlpine64@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:32:47 EST
Fellow Piners,

I've decided to restore my seats and last night pulled out the original
Vitafoam filling from the base of the front seats. More accurately, I've
pulled back the retaining material and allowed the crumbs to fall out!

The `sitting` sections were very badly decomposed although the `moulded` side
and front sections had retained their form but had become very soft and
uncomfortable, not helped by the fact that most of the rubber retaining
straps had also snapped. By the way, the wear is old and not due to the
dimensions or weight of backside!

Are remanufactured ones a good fit and nice and firm? Are all UK dealers
offering the same product? Anybody recommend a UK supplier? Also I seem to
remember seeing (Alpine Horn?) that MGB bases can be used if the leading edge
is cut and glued (was this Series IV compatible?)

What d'ya think?

Regards from England
Mark
1964 Series IV GT OD RHD