Invasion and Maps

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Invasion and Maps
From: "Marc Stenchever" <Marcsten@prontomail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:45:27 -0800
Listers -
I got a set of beautiful black with red piped covers from Curt and
also both paarts of the foam. They shoehorned right in, although I
took it to a specialty shop to have them installed. The palates under
the seats were also shot, leading to that "nearly on the floor" feel.
The shop put in a stiff rubber webbing in the place of the palates
made by Pirelli that worked great. I have heard that the MGB palates
can be made to work, and I'm sure they are cheaper than the Pirelli
material, unless you're paying someone to modify it. The seats turned
out fabulous. Highly recommended. You have no idea how much this adds
to the experience driving these old cars. You forget how nice they
can be to sit in especially when you're old like me!
MArc
Piners,

I've decided to restore my seats and last night pulled out the
original
Vitafoam filling from the base of the front seats. More accurately,
I've
pulled back the retaining material and allowed the crumbs to fall
out!

The `sitting` sections were very badly decomposed although the
`moulded` side
and front sections had retained their form but had become very soft
and
uncomfortable, not helped by the fact that most of the rubber
retaining
straps had also snapped. By the way, the wear is old and not due to
the
dimensions or weight of backside!

Are remanufactured ones a good fit and nice and firm? Are all UK
dealers
offering the same product? Anybody recommend a UK supplier? Also I
seem to
remember seeing (Alpine Horn?) that MGB bases can be used if the
leading edge
is cut and glued (was this Series IV compatible?)

What d'ya think?

Get your email at
http://www.prontomail.com