Tranny and Clutch

To: "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tranny and Clutch
From: Brent Kasl <kasl100@navix.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:19:53 -0600
Two main questions regarding my S2 Alpine-
1. The earlier discussion on my second gear popping out resulted in no
new second gear clusters available. Per my mechanic, and god used will
be no better than what I have so therefore I might as well use this one.
Everything else checked fine. He has had success installing 5 speed
gearboxes from Nissan, etc into Sprites and asked if their had been
success doing this in Alpines. He mentioned you can usually purchase a
late model gearbox and have an adapter plate to fit the bellhousing. Is
this possible for Alpines of the 1961 vintage? Seems their was some
owners who had completed this modification. Please advise.
2.  I have an early style clutch setup. Can the later series diaphragm
clutch fit into my series with no mods?, and between the two, which is
the better unit? He drove my car and in his opinion, the diaphragm has a
better feel and engagement. Of course, he is comparing this to other
British cars that probably had that setup. Any feedback would be
appreciated on either topic. Thanks Brent