Re: Automatic Alpines

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>, <steve@goadvance.com>
Subject: Re: Automatic Alpines
From: "Ian Spencer" <SpenceIC@Healthall.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:43:09 -0500
I also own an automatic... and to me it's desirable because it's not as common
as the manual shifters and I like to preserve something that is unique. To
answer your question though, I don't think the automatics will ever be as
desirable as the 4-speeds. The one thing that makes them desirable is the fact
that the tranny tunnel is bigger which allows more room for the V6 conversions.
I don't know an actual production number for the auto's, but I suspect that
there were more of them built than you might believe. I would guess that 1/3 of
the Series IV production was automatic. I may be wrong about this, but I
wouldn't be surprised if it were true. They were built on both the IV and IVa
chassis. I understand the downfall of the gearbox was lack of ventilation and
cooling. - Ian

>>> <steve@goadvance.com> 03/27/01 01:15PM >>>
Hi list,

Whilst everyone is on the subject of automatic Alpines.

My alpine was once an auto that has now been converted to manual O/D,

I still have all the parts, auto box, pedals, brackets, etc. and was
wondering whether to keep them in case autos one day increase in value
or whether to get rid as I would never want an auto myself. What does
anyone think? Are autos going to increase in value as they become less
scarce or will manual always be the preferred model.