Re: Engine for S I

To: "Rodolfo Jacques" <rodolfo_jacques@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Engine for S I
From: "Peter Noonan" <peter.noonan@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 16:24:54 +1200
Rodolfo, Here's my opinion..........

9090037 WRO

The R in the 2nd letter space = Roadster
An R in the 1st = RHD or
An L in the 1st = LHD
A W in the 1st = CKD being Completely Knocked Down or Crated Knocked Down
An O in the 3rd = Ordinary

For CKD packs it was usual Rootes Policy for specific markets to be further
identified by a fresh numbering block being established and the clue here is
the 909xxxx
That 3rd letter being 9 establishes a Group which may contain all the CKD's
or just the ones for Mexico.

Given that your Chassis Number is correct, here is evidence of at least 37
CKD Series I Alpines built outside of England.

I don't see any of these recorded in the Alpine I Registry, here's your
chance to be in first.

1980628 looks like
1= Hillman Minx
 9=1959
  8=?
    0628 sequential #

ie A Series III Minx which had a 1494cc engine. Iron Head with non-Alpine
camshaft and Manifold Porting sequence.

Compression. If they are equal that's encouraging. Many Export Market
engines were given Low compression options.
That 8 group may well be one.

Peter