RE: RPM's

To: "[unknown]" <Alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: RPM's
From: Tom Yang <TYang@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 23:07:54 -0400
Hi Bill,

Although the revs are high, I guess I can live with them until I get an
overdrive! Thanks to everyone who sent me numbers, on and off list!

Tom

Message text written by "Bill Blue"

I have been doing some calculation of engine speed for different ratios.
If
you have a 4.22 and are running 195-70 13 tires (the closest modern size
O.D. to the "original" radials) you should be turning 3890 RPM at 65.  With
a 3.89, you are running "only" 3585 RPM.  By the way, we drove faster than
65 back then for long stretches at a time.  (Even though the interstate
system was fragmentary, Indiana's state highways had a speed limit of 65,
so
we normally drove about 70 or so).  The only difference between then and
now: it was rare for anything but the little sporty cars to have tachs, so
we had nothing to relate 3900 RPM's to.  We just knew we were buzzing down
the highway.<