Re: Overdrives and rpm

To: kasl100@navix.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrives and rpm
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:55:06 -0700
I counted the turns, then did it again, and took it to a place here in
Southern California called West Valley Speedometer.  The guy who runs it is
named Morris.  He said he was the "Mo" in Mo-Ma.  He did not say how or why
he and Martha went separate ways or why she got the company name.  He
charged about $150 for the full gauge rebuild and the parts needed to do
it.  I did not get the converter box.  He found gears to make it work on
the inside.  The exact number for my OD and the 3.89 and the Michelin XZX's
I'm running was 1440 (which is also exactly the same number given in the
SAOC Alpine Guide).

Also, to count the revolutions, I put a square garbarge can in front of my
bumper, marked a line on the ground, measured from that line, 52 feet,
9.5", drew another line, moved the garbage can to that line, and drove
until I touched the can.  Couldn't have been more accurate.  Worked out to
14.4 revolutions, times 100 gets you 1440.

The closest stock ones to 1440 are as follows:
Series 3 OD, SN5324/18, revolutions: 1408
Series 4 OD, SN5324/23, revolutions: 1526
Series 5 OD, SN5324/52, revolutions: 1504

This makes sense given that the Series 3 was the only one of the group that
had the 3.89 rear end, and the numbers are slightly off because of the
lower profile tires.  I have no clue what changed between the S IV and S V.

Jay