Hyd. clutch problem

To: alpines@autox.team.net, Dadstrom25@aol.com
Subject: Hyd. clutch problem
From: GSTROM99@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 19:49:07 EDT
I had a failure on my (Series II) Alpine yesterday (of course it had to
happen in the middle of some giant traffic jam on U.S. Route 30...).  Either
the master or the slave cylinder has failed.  I push the clutch in and it
disengages OK but after less than a second the clutch re-engages itself, and
off we go...  The pedal goes away (to the floor without any clutch
activation), but will "come back" after a pump or two and be OK for the next
time, but fails again the same way the next time.  There is NO external loss
of fluid.

Kind of a problem in stop and go traffic, eh???  I limped home on as many
side streets as I could find.

Anybody have a good, easy way to diagnose which unit failed (master or slave
cylinder)?

Gary