Re: [Re: Overdrives and rpm]

To: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Re: Overdrives and rpm]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 27 Jun 2001 20:48:17 EDT
I am not sure if those numbers are right, I have calculated 3500 RPM for a '59
Minx with a 4.55:1 rear with 5.60x15 tires.  Even with smaller wheels, I would
assume an Alpine with a 4.22:1 rear would have to do better, and a 3.89:1 rear
MUCH better.

Jan Eyerman
1959 Hillman Minx Series III DeLuxe
1973 Hillman Avenger DL

Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com wrote:
Tom writes:

>With all this talk of Overdrives, ...
>does anybody know how fast the Series
>V engine is approximately turning at
>65 mph?

My speedo is completely accurate, as it was just calibrated, but my tach is
probably off.  I do recall others reporting certain RPMS, etc.  I do
believe though that before I changed to the OD (and the speedo was not way
off), my tach would read about 4000-4100 at 65.  Now, with the OD and the
calibrated speedo, at 65 I'm reading about 3600.  I believe others have
reported 3300 rpm at 65.  For a long time, I've believed my tach to be
about 250-300 high.  So, this makes sense.

That all said, I think someone had and equation for all this, and thus had
the exact numbers, perhaps taking into account some tire size change too.

Jay