Re: Engine removal

To: Scott Donnelly <oharajem@free.midcoast.com>
Subject: Re: Engine removal
From: sosnaenergyconsulting@home.com
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 20:06:42 -0700
Hi Scott:
For myself, I've been enjoying the added power of the 2.8 V-6 conversion
we did about 2 years ago.  Granted the engine is a junkyard (literally)
motor that not only needs cam bearings, but Smitty thinks a new cam
wouldn't be a bad idea (lopey idle, and we can't find any vacuum leaks).
I'm looking forward to the day I get the motor rebuilt and have even
more power.
It's not a cheap swap (unless, unlike myself, you know what you're
doing), but it's possible to get at least 150 hp and an equivalent
amount of torque and still run 87 octane gas. Unlike the V-8 swap, you
leave the firewall intact and use the stock steering setup, which may be
a selling point.

As Joe Rodriguez says "It'll wind up costing nearly as much as a Tiger
without Tiger performance".  Actually, considering that Tigers cost in
the upper 'teens, that may not be true anymore.  And, the money goes
into a swap gradually rather than in a lump sum, like when buying a
Tiger.  And then the Tiger may still need some additional things--I
think Steve Sage has been experienceing that--Steve, any thoughts?

I guess for me it breaks down to this:
If you don't want to spend a lot of money, stick with what you have.

If you've got a large chunk of cash, either buy the Tiger or somebody's
V-6 swap and save yourself the bruises, burns, gashes and frustration of
a swap.

If you like a challenge (Yikes, I can't BELIEVE I just said that!:)) and
you want the bragging rights of having done the swap yourself AND you
can put the money in gradually over a couple of years, I'd say go for
the swap and welcome to the club!

On the other hand, I STILL believe that the stock Alpine has one of the
slickest shifting transmissions I've ever gotten my hands on!  Ours was
originally an automatic, but I've had the pleasure of driving an
occasional "stocker" and I do love that tranny!

Hope this helps--I think whatever you decide to do will be the right
thing.

Regards

David Sosna
65 S4 GT V6