Re: [Fw: Engine removal]

To: "dougb" <dougbilesky@home.com>, "alpine list"
Subject: Re: [Fw: Engine removal]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 3 Jul 2001 09:42:46 EDT
My usual way of pulling an engine is to drop the trans first (not a hard job),
pull the head, pull the starter and generator and then use my 500lb rope hoist
as I am basically lifting out the block and crank at that point.  I usually
have someone pull on the rope while I guide the engine and give directions.
Of course the radiator should be out first.  For installation I reverse the
procedure and then reassemble everything in place.  I use guide studs in the
engine bolt holes for aligning the transmission (makes trans installation MUCH
easier).

In the past I have had two very large, weight lifting friends lift the engine
out with a 4x4 and a chain!  But this is not the recommended way to go (unless
you have lots of big friends).

Jan Eyerman

"dougb" <dougbilesky@home.com> wrote:
When I pulled the engine and tranny out last week I first pulled off the
head. No damage.
Also, on the hoist was a cool tool that allowed the engine to tilt quite
easily when necessary.
doug