Re: Head Games

To: MrZAG57@aol.com, "alpines@autox.team.net" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head Games
From: ellis838@concentric.net
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 11:45:08 -0400
 Hello ZAG,
 I will answer to the best of my ability. First this is a 20 over 1725 and not
my
1980 cc engine which is a different story. The 1725 is balanced, early lightened
flywheel, volvo clutch disc, MGB pressure plate, Isky lifters and push rods,
pertronix, and the pistons have the 7 cc dish. I think that about covers it. To
the questions..

> Several questions:
>
> 1). What is the CC capacity of your chambers now? 40cc if I remember right
> 2). Did you create a template to match things with? Yes cut it out, Vizards,
> and glued it to card board used the valve stems to locate it blued the head
>and
> scribed around template.
> 3). Did you change your valve sizes? No not on this one
> 4). What cam are you using? Delta 420 lift 265 duration  I think they call it
> "KB"
> 5). Did you port and polish the intake and exhaust runners? Yes tried to copy
> what Vizard said to do but did not go crazy with the polish
> 6). Which carburetors are you using? 150's and drilled out the jets but have
> gone back to stock jets, got a set of holbay 40's and a WARENFORD intake that
> are going on soon
> 7). Did you modify the cylinder block deck height? No
> 8). Did you mill the head, and how many .000s if so? Yes, do not know how
>much,
> this head has be milled several times and has maybe 1~2 surfacings left on it
> 9). Does the engine have less pulling power from idle? No pulls like a frieght
> train, but I do not have much to compare it to the old engine was tired
> 10). Have you calculated a mean compression ratio? Not on this one, did on the
> big engine with the vizard treatment and it came out to 11.5 to 1 so got the
> grinder out and opened up the chamber on that head until I got 9.8 to 1, which
> was a 49 cc combustion chamber.

 This engine needs more carburation the mix is to lean and when I drilled out
the
jets there was a hole off idle that I could not tune around or away. I think
there is more power to be had with better carburation. All around I am very
happy
with this engine but am anxious to get the big motor done and in. Will end up
either selling the 1725 or putting it in a Hillman I am looking at...
  Jim