Re: Scott Christie's question to the list.

To: "Ian Spencer" <SpenceIC@Healthall.com>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Scott Christie's question to the list.
From: <cs_tscg@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:20:53 -0400
Scott,

My prayers are with you in hopes the surgery goes well. Please keep us posted
on the progress.

I do not know if this is Scott's problem, but I have experienced similar
problems. The final fix of course is to coat the tanks and completely flush the
system.

Anyway, years ago I experienced the same symptoms. It was due to tiny particles
of crud blocking the jets. I could run the car with the choke on and it would
smooth-out a bit.

At the time, I was running a completely stock system I.e. no fuel filter.
Sometimes when I experienced the problem, I could get out, rev the car and
block the carb opening (usually with my palm). This would suck the offending
crud out of the tube. Othertimes, I had to disassemble the carb and blow-out
the jets with compressed air.

I have also had similar symptoms when the fuel line coming out of the tank
junction tube was clogged. However, when this happened, the car would
completely die. To fix, I simply disconnected the line, let the remaining gas
drain into a container that I could use to strain out the offending material.

I hope this helps

> From: "Ian Spencer" <SpenceIC@Healthall.com>
> Date: 2001/08/02 Thu AM 11:01:57 EDT
> To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
> Subject: Scott Christie's question to the list.
>
> I'm posting this to the list for Scott Christie who will be spending the next
>few days at home with his wife who will be having emergency gall bladder
>surgery today. Although he is very concerened for his wife... he still had the
>time to call me with an Alpine question. What a dedicated chap Scott is... not
>only to his wife, but his Alpine too. Let's all wish the best and a speedy
>recovery for Scott's wife Darla.
>
> Here's Scotts question:
>
> His car has been acting up as of late. I've determined that he is getting
>crud in his carbs (Zenith - Series 3). Last week, I took his carbs apart and
>cleaned and inspected them. There was definately rust particles in the bowl,
>so Scott added an inline fuel filter. He knows that this is a temporary fix,
>but would like to keep the car running for the rest of this season before
>replacing the tanks.
>
> Scott had the car out yesterday and it ran fine for a while. Then it started
>acting up again (sputtering out). Now, if he applies the choke half way the
>car levels out and runs fine. What's the cause for this and how can it be
>corrected? Could the floats be out of wack? I tried to be very careful not to
>do anything that would cause them to become out of adjustment. Does anyone out
>there have any advice? Scott says thanks! - Ian

Chris Stephenson
cs@tscg.net
(404) 915-7669