Costy (not cosy) sounds

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Costy (not cosy) sounds
From: lauri@lorenzo.pp.fi (lauri lehtinen)
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 23:17:27 +0300
Hi, folks,
I'm back from my "holyday". This summer my Mk 4 tries to tell the total
maintainance must be done. Viscose motor oil (20W-50) did "cure" low
pressure when idling, but now occasional smoke gives up that I have run
about 70 000 km since I bought the car - and even then there were about
7-10 years from total rebuild.

The real problem is g-box. A week ago it suddenly turned to be very sick
when using 1st and reverse. Of course they have allways been "drunken
singers", noisy, = non synchro etc. But suddenly that sound got
clancing/knocking noise, as one of rollers have dissappeared somewhere. The
sound is most awful when I have to lift pedal and motor braking occures.

I have a "baby-Cuda" all synchro box on my floor, it should be easy to
crush it into in situ. But I am afraid my poor head once heard you can't
force that box into mk4 or earlier cars. But can I mix parts from thease
gearboxies and build hasty a box for the rest of 1 1/2 months of this
summer?

Or should I drive without using the 1st until winter gives a long pitstop?

#arry

#auri Lehtinen
Lehtipuu Oy
Kirkonkylantie 83