Re: Tasteful Modifications

To: andydevoe@mediaone.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tasteful Modifications
From: "Kevin McLemore" <kmclemore@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:44:55 -0500
Yeah, I know what you mean, Andy.  I had to laugh.. he says in his lengthy
description that there are 12 spark plug wires, but that 6 are 'dummies'...
I'm pretty sure I know where the 7th is.

:set soapbox on
And OBTW, those selfish clowns who put those booming 'bazooka' stereo's in
their cars just completely frost my b*lls.  I live near a fairly busy street
and more times than I can count my small children have been awakened late at
night by the boom-boom-boom of those noisy self-possessed b*st*rds. Yeah, I
know that in the end they'll pay with premature hearing loss and a mind
dulled by gang-sta-rap, but all the same, there oughtta be a law.... sigh...
:set soapbox off

As for the mods, sorry, I am just a bit too much the purist, I guess. I
like'em as they came out of the box, warts, oil spots and all. Though I
generally keep my own restored cars bone-stock when ever possible, I can
certainly accept others making mods for safety, basic reliability and
period-appropriate performance (Pertronix, Weber, Judson, Shorrocks,
Harrington, etc.), but to me this guy just went a bridge too far... one
begins to wonder if it is still worthy of being called a Sunbeam anymore?
Heck, for $40K he could have one of the prettiest restored Alpines in the
world and in the process have preserved a valuable piece of motoring history
for generations to come. Oh, well, another one bites the dust - our
'genuine' cars just went up in value one more tiny increment.

All is only my opinion, of course - other's mileage may vary greatly. (May
the flaming begin)

Cheers -
Kevin