Re: Importing a Car

To: "Robert J.Jaarsma" <jaars@cyberportal.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Importing a Car
From: "steven Kirk" <stevenkirk@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 09:13:40 -0600
I imported my series 2 from England to the USA in 2000.

In England I handed in the title and applied for an export certificate.

When I collected the car in the USA I was asked to sign a form stating that
the car was pre 1967 and was exempt from the emission regulations. I believe
any pre 1967 car is exempt from emissions.

When I was making enquiries as to what was required to export the car I
consulted customs at the port where the car was to be imported. I was told
that I needed to obtain a valuation on the car and I would be charged a
percentage of the cars value as import tax. When I collected the car I was
given a release certificate after signing the form stating the car was pre
1967. I may have been lucky as I was not charged the import tax, this may
depend on the customs person who is working at the time. In my case I did
not ask questions as soon as I was given the release certificate I left the
port. with the car.  I would suggest be prepared to pay the import tax if
required.

To register the car in the US and obtain a title I took the car plus the
export certificate to the licensing office. They checked the chassis number
on the car to the export certificate and customs release papers and after
filling out some paperwork the car was given a US title.

I collected my car from the port on a trailer registed and drove it the same
day.

Steven Kirk
1962 Series 2