overdrive prob

To: "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: overdrive prob
From: "Greg Locke" <glocke@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:14:49 +1200
Hi all

my alpine overdrive is doing an odd thing. Whenever I engage it, it surges,
going in and out of overdrive 2 or 3 times a second. As if it has enough oil
pressure to engage, but not enough to hold itself in. Or as soon as it
engages it is thrown out for some reason. It has done it a few times... the
first time I cleaned out the valves, changed the oil etc but made no
difference. But after a few weeks it suddenly started working again. The
other times it has done it a real fast blast in top gear has seemed to fix
it. It has done it maybe 4 times over the last 2 years, but this time it
seems to be remaining frustratingly broken

any ideas

Greg Locke