Re: Manifold temperature

To: "ESPEN HOLM" <e_holm@c2i.net>, <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Manifold temperature
From: "Bill Blue" <dablue@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 03:05:07 -0500
I doubt the manifold will exceed this temperature.  I have seen cast iron
manifolds on 40 hp tractors glow a dull red, visible at night.  This occurs
when the engine is working hard for an extended period of time, such as
plowing.  According to Machinery's Handbook, red color visible only at night
is about 800 F for steel.  I don't think there would be that much color
difference between iron and steel.  But Jarrid is probably right, time and
temperature is a tough act to beat.  I have never seen a car manifold glow
from heat.  Has anyone?
The Eastwood company has a manifold paint that "resists heat to 1200 F".  I
wonder if this is enough of a difference to allow longer paint life on the
manifold?
Bill