Re: Rear axle seal

To: steven Kirk <stevenkirk@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Rear axle seal
From: jumpinjan <jservaites@woh.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 21:03:01 -0700
steven Kirk wrote:

> Today I removed a half shaft as my car had a leak on the rear axle from where
> the rear of the backplate where it meets the axle casing. I drove the car
> several miles and noticed oil dripping from inside the wheelarch. On further
> examination it seems the original leak was fixed as the oil was now coming
> from inside the hub. Am I correct in assumg the oil seal needs replacing and
> this new leak is just bad luck?
>
> Thanks
> Steven kirk
> 1962 series 2

Steve, there are paper gaskets on both sides of the brake anchor plate.
The inner gaskets set the axle side play clearance. There is also an oil
seal in the small sheet metal plate. I have learned to remove the hubs
with a hub puller, and go from there. It's pretty hard to work on with
those hubs in place.
Jan
--