Re: coil problem

To: SerIIAlpine@netscape.net
Subject: Re: coil problem
From: Jarrid Gross <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 22:31:52 -0700
Eric,

Are you saying you see sparks across the points
when they open?

You really shouldnt see much if any sparks there.
Suspect your condenser, or that the accel coil has more
inductance than the stock condensor can damp.

Points spark erodes the contacts and is indicative
of poor damping of the coil/condensor combo.

The accel coil is probably best when used with an electronic
ignition system, where dwell control, and primary current rate
control are managed by the controller.

Do also check you points gap, particularly after seeing the sparks.

Oh, and ignitioon coils dont have polarity, the + and - symbols just
tell you what wires go where on the coil.

If the coil is a Negative ground type, then the battery hot lead
goes to the + terminal (even on positive ground).
The - terminal will go to the points.

Reverse the above logic on a positve ground coil.

The difference between positive and negative ground coils
os only in the marking of the +- terms to make the wiring
consistant.

Jarrid Gross