Re: "Hillman - " Re: Pressurizing Oil system

To: "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "Hillman - " Re: Pressurizing Oil system
From: "Alkon" <alkon@bigpond.com.au>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 17:23:19 +1000
You are right of course :-))

Should have looked before opening my mouth on this one.
Mouth driving instructions
"engage brain before puting mouth in gear "  :-))
I thought feeding the oil in the oil pressure line was my personal trick, I
can see that not only have others thought of it first some entrepenurial soul
has marketed a suitable device.

We often drag old Holdens in and give them the tow it round the paddock start
up technique.

I have a 56 Minx running that had been parked since October 1979.
Cleaned the points, installed a battery and away it went. Not the best way
perhaps but it now runs very well. Needed to clean out the entire fuel system
as there was a liquid in the tank that may have been fuel 20 years ago but was
fairly thick "glug" now. Modern no lead fuels have a shelf life of no more
than two weeks so don't expect them to run well if sitting in a fuel tank for
several months. We have problems with the dual fuel taxis with petrol/LPG
systems. The petrol loses the higher aromatics and will not run properly. The
only solution is to drain the tank and start again with fresh fuel.
A good trick with engines that haven't run for a while is to put a little
emulsifiable oil in the cooling system as it will lubricate the water pump
seals. This oil is the stuff mixed with water that makes a milky liquid used
in machine shops for cooling cutting tools.

Keith
55 Californian