Stromberg issue

To: alpine list <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stromberg issue
From: "d.b" <d.b@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 21:21:06 -0700
I have a '66 SV with older style 150 CDs strombergs.

http://sunbeamalpine.org/galleries/profiles/dougbilesky/dougbilesky.html

What I mean by older style is that there is not enough room to put in the
bushing I received with the new throttle shafts.

Nevertheless, at idle I cannot pass the local AirCare standards.  I assumed the
throttle shafts were worn and that I could not adjust enough to compensate.
This has happened in the past and upon replacement I passed and got better gas
mileage.
But I was wrong this time.  The shafts were ok.  I replaced them anyway.

However, when I took the intake manifold off complete with the carbs I was
carefull not to upset them.  What I found was gas wetness inside and under the
piston of the left hand carb where the right hand carb was dry.  I had not
started the car for at least two days.

The question is why and what should I do?

When the car is running I always have to keep the choke out at least 1/3 to 1/2
otherwise I'd cough, backfire and stall.
Some people offered me carbs in the past but I just cannot afford to buy them.

Doug Bilesky