RE: Torque or not more torque

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Torque or not more torque
From: "Tom Hill" <tom.hill@att.net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:40:59 -0500
It is my understanding that Rootes contracted with Holbay to produce a
performance version of the fastback Alpine.  The prototype that was
delivered to Rootes was very fast but had lousy low end performance.  This
was deemed not acceptable for a road car by the Rootes people.  This was
communicated back to the Holbay people and they reconfigured the engine with
the smaller intake ports.  The effect was that the velocity of the intake
charge remained high at lower RPMs resulting in better low end performance,
i.e. torque.

Last year I built a Holbay engine for my SV Alpine complete with an NOS
Holbay head, a Holbay replica camshaft from Sunbeam Specialties, and the
correct Weber setup.  The engine was tested on the dyno and made around 125
peak hp but the torque curve was absolutely flat (about 120 ft/lbs, need to
check notes) from 2500 RPM to redline.  So I would imagine if a "stock" head
was modified by reshaping the combustion chamber and polishing the intake
and exhaust ports like the Holbay, then the result would be a high RPM
(relative to Rootes) engine.

The flowbench results comparing the Holbay head to stock can be found at
http://www.tomhill.freeservers.com/custom.html. (sorry for the popups, its
free)

tom hill