Tech Tip

To: "Alpine, Message" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tech Tip
From: "Thomas Wiencek" <wiencek@anl.gov>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 16:46:30 -0600
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LBCarCo Tech Tips <http://www.lbcarco.com/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=lbtech>
each Week a New Reader Submitted Tech Tip!

Our Tech Tip this week is from Doug McLaren.

I recently had to replace the Male studs for the Lift-a-dot fasteners on
my MGB top and tonneau. It is near impossible to get the lock washer and
the nut on the stud under the rear deck. Here's what worked for me.

1. Put the male stud into the hole in the deck.
2. Put a little grease on your finger and it will hold the washer while
you fiddle around locating the stud from below.
3. Put a magnet against the stud above the deck. This can be any size of
magnet.
4. Fit the washer onto the stud and the magnetism will hold it there.
5. Put the nut on your greasy finger and align it with the stud from
below.
6. Turn the stud into the nut and you are almost there.
7. Use a 1/4 inch drive socket on the nut and a wrench on the hex of the
stud and tighten in down.
8. I put a little bit of tape on the bottom side of the wrench to
prevent damage to the paint.