Re: FW: carbs for 1960 Alpine

To: greenwald@vcn.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FW: carbs for 1960 Alpine
From: JACranwell@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:18:16 EDT
tjhiggin@mail.hiwaay.net writes:

> greenwald@vcn.com

Greg,

You'll be lucky to find a working Solex unit, as they often had problems,
particularly with the second, progressive, throttle barrel mechaism.

Also, In my opinion, the Weber 32/36 is a superior product.

The Weber and Solex carbs are both progressive, downdraught units, and use
the same manifold. I'm not sure of the range of Series that came with the Solex
carb and manifold, but my SIII certainly had it from new.

So....If you locate a SIII manifold, plus a Weber32/36.

The Weber's are easier to find, as they were used on a range of Fiat's etc.
You'll then need to get it jetted to suit the Alpine engine, which will
probably be a 1500cc unit in your car.

Your other alternative would be to obtain a set of side-draft Strombergs,
plus manifold. These should be easiest to come by as they were fitted to the
later series V. Again, you would need to get jets/needles to suit.

Depending on which option you take, you may also need to replace the manifold
studs to the head.

Good luck, and hope I've not further confused you.

Julian (SIII with 1725 and Weber 32/36)