Re: Clutch bleeding problem update

To: "Jan Servaites" <jservaites@woh.rr.com>, <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch bleeding problem update
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:38:49 -0600
Hi, Jan:

Actually, I mentioned the fact that I was working on my Series I Alpine in
the first sentence of my first posting of this problem.  No worries,
though...

Spurred on by your and other posts, I did dig in a little further to find
that, true enough, the Series I was the only Alpine to have a clutch return
spring.  As you state as well, it is also the only one of the group to have
an adjustable actuator rod, as well as the "short" slave cylinder.  All I
can say is that there have been some things changed on my car, as far those
bits and pieces are concerned.

I was able to get ahold of a picture out of a Series I shop manual yesterday
of the slave cylinder and spring arrangement.  After looking at that, I have
determined that someone has probably put a Series II or later slave cylinder
on it.  The spring bracket also did not look anything like the one in the
picture.  And, finally, the spring had enough tension on it that it would
fit the application.

I had no idea that I was working with non-original parts when I started this
job so, being the bozo I am, I just made an incorrect assumption, which is
something one should never do with a British car.  All I can say is that,
having been a Tiger owner for 25 years, owning four of them during that time
with only a one year break in the late 80's, I'm finding out that there are
certain bits for the Alpine that are quite different.  It's cool, though, as
I'm definitely a quick study on this stuff.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and, since I'm replying to Jarrid as
well, thank you, Jarrid for your assistance.  My goal is to have a very
correctly prepared and bulletproof '60 Sunbeam Alpine Series I vintage race
car and, with my diligence and the help from this list, I've no doubt that
I'll eventually get there.

Take care,
Andy Walker

P.S.: I don't know if I'm supposed to do this, but I've attached a pic of
the Alpine for your perusal.  Hope you like!!  In case you're not aware,
it's Carl McLelland's old car from Sparks, NV, and it's shown on Steve
Silverstein's Comp Alpines website.