Rust and Paint Removal

To: "Alpine, Message" <alpines@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rust and Paint Removal
From: Thomas Wiencek <wiencek@anl.gov>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 16:23:41 -0600
Rust and Paint Removal:
This tip concerns rust and paint removal.  I have been using the method
outlined at the link:
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm lately
in the restoration of some of my under hood ancillary items, such as the
heater, wiper motor/gear, radiator shroud, and various brackets.  These
items have a combination of the original black paint and surface rust.
My goal was to remove the original paint and the rust and then repaint
the items for reinstallation.  I have found this 'electrolytic
de-rusting method' to be very effective - it is non-toxic, safe and does
not hurt un-rusted metal.  Also, as an added bonus, it completely strips
the original paint back to bare metal.  It has turned what I thought
would be a long, terribly messy job into a pleasure.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: