Steering wheel

Subject: Steering wheel
From: "Heuer, Paul" <paul.heuer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:46:31 +1030
Hi all,
I have a couple of questions regarding the original steering wheel in
a S3 Alpine, though I think this is the same for all Alpines/Tigers
with the telescoping steering column.

1. The hub has a crack that runs all the way around the diameter
where the spokes emerge from the hub. There are cracks just starting
to appear inside the hub where the threaded inserts are located for
securing the horn assembly. Does this make the wheel unsafe, or is
the plastic only cosmetic? I guess I'm wondering whether the metal
spokes are securely welded to the metal splines with plastic molded
around the assembly for good looks.

2. Assuming the wheel is safe, can I just fill in the cracks and
repaint the hub? If so, recommendations for a filler, and paint type
would be welcome.

3. The rim of the wheel is sound but has some light patches on it and
is dull, though the surface is still smooth. Is there any way to
restore the rim to a solid dark black colour.

4. And now for a really 'out of the box' question. I would love to
build a wooden dash for my car. I would love to have a matching
wooden steering wheel. I can't afford the going rate for a GT/Tiger
wheel. Has anyone ever taken a ST wheel, removed the plastic rim and
hand made a wooden rim? (Stop laughing! ;-)

Note that I've tried a couple of aftermarket wheels on my car, but I
actually like the original wheel, and I really love the telescoping
column which I would lose with an aftermarket wheel.

Any help appreciated.
Cheers,
Paul
S3 ST colour 67 (light metallic green)