Re: Coventry Museum

To: rande <rande@thecia.net>
Subject: Re: Coventry Museum
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@SoCal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:58:26 -0700
Beaulieu Abbey is in the "New Forest" which was declared in 1066!

How to get to Beaulieu
Beaulieu is situated in the south of England, in the New Forest between
Bournemouth and Southampton, with easy access from London and the
Home Counties, and is north of the Isle of Wight.

 By Road from London take the M3, then the M27 westbound, exiting at
Junction 2 on to the A326. Follow the brown and white tourist signs for
either Beaulieu or the National Motor Museum. The approximate travel
time from London is 2 hours.

It seems to be   pronounced "Booly".  Their web site is:
http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/

The directions, and map are at:
http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/beaulieupalace/index.htm

England is FULL of great Motor Museums:

    * Brooklands Museum
      www.brooklandsmuseum.com <http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com>
      Birth place of British motorsport and aviation and home of the
      worlds first purpose-built Motor Racing Circuit constructed at
      Weybridge, Surrey.

    * Haynes Motor Museum
      www.haynesmotormuseum.co.uk <http://www.haynesmotormuseum.co.uk>
      A large collection of cars, motorcycles and other memorabillia
      gathered together by the Haynes Publishing Group.

    * Heritage Motor Centre
      www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk
      <http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk>
      One of the largest collections of historic British Cars in the world.

    * Lord Montagu's Autobiography
      www.lordmontagu.co.uk <http://www.lordmontagu.co.uk>
      A brief account of Lord Montagu's life and achievements with an
      introduction to his autobiography.

      <>Motor Museums

      www.motormuseums.com <http://www.motormuseums.com>
      Former National Motor Museum Director Michael Ware's directory of
      over 170 museums situated
      in Great Britain, the Channel Islands and all of Ireland that have
      significant or interesting road transport
      collections.

        <>Museum of British Road Transport
      www.mbrt.co.uk <http://www.mbrt.co.uk>
      Based at Coventry, the home of the nation's road transport
      industries, the Museum offers a display of
      cars and motorcycles produced in the area.
    *   Ramsgate Motor Museum
      www.thanetonline.com/ramsgatemotormuseum
      <http://www.thanetonline.com/ramsgatemotormuseum>

And do NOT miss the Morgan Factory "tour" in the
Malvern-Link-on-the-Thames factory:

When we pulled into the graveled parking lot, alongside the low 1 story
buildings, and
asked a man is a shop coat when the tour began;

He said: "Sorry, sir, Morgan doesn't have tours"

I felt tears welling in my eyes, when he continued:

"-- Just park over there and walk wherever you want to see the
production.  If you have
any questions, just ask the workman."

"Hey, kid.  Just go walk around the candy production plant and take what
you like."

You will really have a trip highlight.

Take your tour in early October.  The weather is still acceptable, and
the kids and
teachers have gone home.  A good B&B was found whenever we decided to
call it
a day.  Be careful NOT to extend your trip past the third month in
October, as it is
a British National School Holiday, and NOTHING is available.

Good night and Good Luck.

Steve - "Been there, done that."

___
Steve Laifman