autox-cm

Re: Cold weather question

To: lbracing@excite.com, Autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cold weather question
From: VDieman@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:31:52 EST
In a message dated 1/11/01 10:47:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
lbracing@excite.com writes:

<<
 To those of you who currently have snow outside your window (or the
 potential for snow), I was wondering: How often (if at all) do you fire up
 your cars during the off-season?

 Is it better to just let it "sit" rather than risk damage by starting a cold
 engine in cold weather, or is it better to run it awhile now and then (like
 I did for our previous Stock-class autocross-only car)?

 Any advice/methodology would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

 Ross/Paula Fortini
 1988 Van Diemen

 (First registrants for the Meridian Nat'l Tour event...can you tell I wanna
 drive this thing *really* bad?)

I would not advise starting your car during winter unless you plan to drive
(run) it until it gets to operating temperature and stays there long enough
to burn off the condensation in the engine/engine oil.

I store my car by removing the battery and keeping it charged in a warm place
in the house, covering the rear of the car with a blanket(s) and placing a
light beneath the engine/tranny to keep out moisture.  A light coat of WD40
on the suspension keeps the rust away from the plating.

I do not start the car until spring.

Bill Engle Jr.
85 Van Diemen
CM 89