autox-cm

New Cars: Autocross Disadvantaged?

To: autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: New Cars: Autocross Disadvantaged?
From: Craig Henry <tiga_s2@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 08:30:26 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Gang,

I'm still waffling with respect to what I'm going to
autocross.  Several CM competitors have been kind
enough to offer up their existing CM cars, provide
images, and answer the many questions I had.  I've
eliminated some cars and notified the owners but have
kept a few owners hanging while I look at other cars
and my options (sorry.)  My eye keeps wondering over
to the newer cars ('98 Van Diemen and the Vector.)  So
why wouldn't I want one of these newer cars vs. an
early/mid/late '80's Reynard, Van Diemen, or Swift
everyone seems to be running with?  I can get a 13:37
fixed first gear for the LD200 that puts the gearing
at a reasonable level and where I like it (taller.)
Does the wide track hurt?  I would think they would
have more mechanical grip?  What am I missing?  I'm
seriously thinking of selling the S2 to fund a newer
(higher priced) car.

Thanks again for all the advice and help.

Craig

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html