autox-cm

Re: Tire selection for Nationals

To: autox-cm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire selection for Nationals
From: "John A. Carriere" <jacarriere@jacircuits.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 06:23:32 -0500
Hi Greg,

Since it is 8 degrees outside, this is a apropos topic!

The C Mod guys were struggling also.  We had nowhere near the low
level of grip we were expecting on Topeka asphalt at higher temps :-)

Tire sizing can play a role in the temps generated.  Just selecting
an arbitrarily smaller size can generate more grip, but can also
change the balance.  Might be worth a used set from John Berget to
try in an early season <cold> testing session.

Also, did you sipe your tires?  This also generates additional heat in them.

Stay warm,

John

At 12:59 PM 1/31/2007, you wrote:
>Hi Folks:
>
>During the 2006 event, B Mod was given the opportunity to run in the
>cool of the morning just like C Mod.   Even though my Ralt weighs
>considerably more than a Formula Ford, I was not able to get the
>tires to work at all.  They are Hoosier R25As, 9" wide in the front
>and 12" wide in the rear.  During the cooling off period between
>runs, I observed that many C Mod cars were working their tires to
>the point that I would expect in higher temperatures.
>
>I would be interested in opinions on what effect tire size had.  I
>have some narrow rims (6s and 8s) that would accept FC sizes but
>they would probably be R35 compound.  Since I am now about 8 seconds
>behind the leaders, I don't expect that any tire would come close to
>putting me in contention, but it would be nice to beat a couple of
>the other back-markers.
>
>Thanks for any thoughts.
>
>Greg Scharnberg
>Ralt RT5 - B Mod

JACircuits Autocross Timing Systems
     http://www.jacircuits.com
- Timing the SCCA Solo II Nationals since 1985