Integra questions

To: autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Integra questions
From: PAULES56@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 00:49:21 EST
Since this is only partly-autocross related, I will be brief and ask that
replies be sent directly to me to avoid boring those not interested.

I am in the market for a replacement daily-driver street car and have selected
the Acura Integra because of my satisfaction with Honda products I have
autocrossed the last 7 years.  I am not sure if I will get a GS-R or base
engine.  I'm also not sure if I want a pre or post OBD-II year.  Perhaps
someone out there can help me make my decision by offering opinions on the
following questions:

1.  At what RPM do you know the VTEC is helping you?  Is it worth getting for
street use?
2.  Does anyone have experience with OBD and Non-OBD Integras with either
engine?  I plan only minor performace mods like a K&N airfilter and Cat-Back.
3.  The Solo II rulebook does not seen to class the 97 or 98, non-GS-R.  I
assume it goes in ES with the 90-96 NOC since the 94+ GS-R cars are clased in
GS.
4.  Is there a "California Emissions Package" and if so what does it do to the
performance of either engine.  Most of the "certified" used cars at the local
dealer are brought in from CA.
5.  Anything Integra specific to look for (or look out for) in a used one?

With dealer interest rates so low on new cars right now, it is tempting to get
a 1999 GS-R.  With the prices of the used cars, new really is a cost effective
option.

As always, thank you in advance for your advice.

Paul D.