RE: Down force

To: <ttarleto@ix.netcom.com>, <autox@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Down force
From: "Brent DeWitt" <bdewitt@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 21:47:59 -0700
I have read this thread with a great deal of interest as an engineer and
pilot.  What I find most interesting is that the down force increases as the
square of the velocity, which is also what the centrifugal force on the car
in a "constant radius" turn increases by.  So why the advantage of going
faster?  Three _possible_ reasons.  First, the down force is present before
the turn and makes turn-in more abrupt and effective.  Second, the down
force increases the contact patch area of a wide compliant tire, making
ultimate shear stress higher.  Third, the down force is not at the C.G. of
the car and results in better balance in cornering.

Note:  I have _never_ driven a winged car, so I have absolutely no idea of
which of these possibilities may be dominant (or even noticeable).  Just fun
thoughts......

Brent