Results of San Diego Autocross and the Mckamey School

To: autocross <AUTOX@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Results of San Diego Autocross and the Mckamey School
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:00:48 -0800
Here are the trophy positions. This is at Qualcomm, West Lot, Sunday
1-10-99. Conditions were scattered clouds, temps in the 70s. A fairly
large turnout, yet we were able to get in a few fun-runs at the end of
the day. It was noted that the TART club continued to let the Diablo SV
run after fun runs. 8) Nice start to the season locally, we had quite a
few folks travel in from Northern California and Arizona.

For those who went to McKamey and those planning on going someday (that
should cover 99% of team.net), I have been trying to implement what I
learned in phase one, but many years of seat of the pants throwing my
car around makes that difficult. But, it is funny when I saw my times on
Sunday.

CS ran in the first run group. I drove my first run horribly and did a
95. Not good as a lot of the course was tight, and I was fighting
understeer and trying to recover my lines. I finished the first run and
decided to quit trying to win CS and concentrate on what I learned last
month from the excellent instruction of Ken Mitchell and Tom Kotzian
along with Jean Kinser. I could hear their voices in my head saying
"your an idiot"...they never really said that, but I imagined if they
saw how I drove the first run, they might. 8)

I forgot about going fast, and tried to keep my hands on the steering
wheel and place my car on the right line, looking ahead at where I
needed to be, making sure I wasn't going in too hot. I was amazed to
hear I pulled out a 91 second run...on what felt like it must be slower.

I decided on my next run to push it a bit and go faster. Yeah, well, a
92 second run. Later runs in the day did exactly the same thing. I did a
low 91 second run with a passenger, when I concentrated on techinque and
being deliberate. The faster I tried to go, the slower I went.

I guess that stuff works.. 8)

SS 89.096 John Hayes, RX7; Fred Blundell, Corvette; George Lynch, RX7
AS 91.242 Chris Teague, M3
BS 91.942 Bob Purcell, Miata; John Gooden, Miata
CS 91.930 Randy Chase, MR2; Steve Coe, RX7
DS 99.536 Allan McGreggor, Nissan
ES 94.621 Geneva Middlebrook, Escort
FS 95.795 John Brady, Formula
FSL 96.318 Jane Brady, Formula (Ladies FTD)
GS 95.805 Ron Chapman (Boehme MX6)
HS 109.330 Joe Kramer, Acura
IS2 (Improved Street) 95.693 George Pollock, RX7
IS2L 99.243 Judy Becker, RX7
IS3 99.807 David Onate, Civic
ASP 86.606 Curt Ormiston, the flying 911
BSP 89.578 Larry Capen, Corvette; Gary Fingerman, Corvette
CSP 91.290 Steve Peranteau, M3 David Palmquist, Miata
DSP 91.024 Randy Walters, GTI
ESP 90.474 Harry Botkin, Camaro Z28
M1 83.330 Reginald Read, Lola 2000 (FTD)
M2 87.416 Ron Lea, Formula Vee
M2L 98.801 Jeanette Dravk, Super 7
P1 91.630 Rick Perry, Corvette
P2 89.586 Ted Kuyper, Midget
PAX class times (I don't have these...I think I heard the Tom Smith's
Type R won it...please correct me if I am wrong. When PAX was running, I
was oblivious to other things since I was sitting in the Diablo. 8)

Randy Chase (wondering how to sell the house to buy a Diablo)