RE: Flagging Mistakes (was: Thanks to an Alert Corner Worker...)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Flagging Mistakes (was: Thanks to an Alert Corner Worker...)
From: John Coffey <jcoffey@mossmicro.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 17:45:41 -0800
There's another mistake that Curt Ormiston (sorry for the spelling) and
I both complained about during the San Diego event last Sunday.  Seems a
corner worker was standing very close the outside of one of the long
boxes or semi-slaloms on the southeast part of the course.  He was
holding the white cone flag straight out from his waist and the flag was
hanging down and flapping in the breeze.

When I came through that section I saw the worker and the flag, I lifted
for a second thinking something was up.  Curt was the next car behind me
and he braked thinking the worker had confused the white flag with the
red flag.  Needless to say, the timing trailer heard about it when we
got back to the grid.

The San Diego region really works hard to educate the novices.
Mandatory driver and work meetings twice during the day, course walks,
driving instructors, and most of the regulars keep their eyes open.
When I'm riding to work stations out in truck I ask who's new and make
sure I'm working a position near them so I can shout instructions during
the event.

John Coffey
Moss Micro, Inc.
jcoffey@mossmicro.com