RE: GRM Tire Test

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: GRM Tire Test
From: Scott Johnson <sjohnson@kcnet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:26:38 -0600 (CST)
Brian Priebe <priebe.4@osu.edu> wrote:

>Whoever pointed out the width differences are right to say that had some
>variable in the times.  The weight differences also needed to be
>calculated in also, which I think could offset the widths some.   The
>widths could have been closer, but I do not feel they were as big a deal
>from feeling the differences of turn in.  The turn in was the key to
>make the car work.  I would attribute that to side wall flex, since a
>wider tire should decrease turn in.  The side wall flex was minimized as
>you went up in wheel size.  The 16s and 17s almost felt like driving on
>R tires.  That is what I was most impressed with.

>WHoever said they woudl assure the 15s would be the best are wrong in my
>opinion after driving on all.  THey were the fastest in straight line
>acceleration yes, but you could never use any of the acceleration!!!
>(just as in most solo courses) Also the 15s had an advantage of being a
>lighter wheel brand than the 16s or 17s which were faster.

I wanted to see a 225/50-15 vs 225/45-16 vs 225/40-17 R-tire test on
identical make 8 inch wide wheels, and I said I thought the 15's would be
fastest (on a real auto-x course, not one where half the course is a
big circle). The 15's would be the lightest combo, and sidewall height
would be less of a factor (almost none) with a stiff R tire.

>I always wondered if Guy Ankeny was hindering his miata on the 16s and
>now figured out he was not.

I thought Hoosier didn't have the 245/50-15 out then, that's why the car
had 245/45/16's. Hmmm...

He did win.

-Scott A Johnson
 sjohnson@kcnet.com