two wheelin

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: two wheelin
From: Brian Priebe <priebe.4@osu.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:32:25 -0500
My experience of being on two wheels, that one time, was that you have
no time to react that you are on two wheels.  I realized when I hit the
ground that I was on two.

Mark you were at the same event.  I was chasing the rearend all through
a bunch of offsets that led to a quick 90 degree turn.  Once I turned
the wheel left for the 90 degree turn, the rear stopped sliding and just
hooked.  There was an asphalt change there, but nothing that I thought
was a big deal walking the course ( meaning no abrupt bumps or layer
differences).  I just remember when the rearend slopped sliding it got
quiet.

The front end was not very high compared to the rear end I was told.  I
was also told it was like the left rear was trying to flip to the front
right corner.  I was just lucky I was turning left instead of right.
Without driver my neon was 100 lbs heavier on the left side.  I also
think this is what caused my two struts to blow, which is why I changed
cars at Nationals.  My left rear and right front struts were the ones
that blew.

I also feel course designs should be designed counter-clockwise due to
having the driver less prone to being able to flip a car.  WHen a course
is clockwise you usually have more key turns to the right which puts the
driver on the outside.  The course I was on was clockwise, but I
happened to chose the one key left turn to get on two.

--Brian Priebe